Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sometimes it's hard to remember.

Writing this poem wasn't easy and I'm not completely happy with it, but this prompt was too amazing to pass up.

I remember tubes to feed you life
Eyes light and wide
Hair so blonde it was hard
To believe we were related

I remember the teal sweater
With a fuzzy poodle on it
The perfect going away present
I remember you looked sick,

But not on the verge of death
As we crowded around the hospital bed
You held my hand so tight
I should have known it was goodbye

I wanted to ask if you had ever peeked
Through the cracks between your mother's
Fingers when she was shielding your eyes
And doubted the person you were becoming

5 comments:

  1. Very nice and the ending works perfectly.
    (Don't we all have things we wish we'd said?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very heartfelt poem. Very well done.
    Thanks
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written, and touching. The part about peeking through your mother's figures hit me hard.

    Check at our blog! And comment please, we love comments :)
    http://ivyandhaley.blogspot.com

    Ivy

    ReplyDelete