Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Better late than never right? Falling in love with Elizabeth and circling the universe with Aphrodite.

I'm a little late on this Read Write Poem Mini-Poetry Challenge. I don't know how I missed it! This poem is made up of lines taken from The Venus Hottentot by Elizabeth Alexander, a.k.a. my muse for the duration of this challenge. For five days I will emerse myself in her poetry and try to come up with writings that are somewhat worthy by comparison. I don't think somewhat is too much to ask for. LOL!

Observations and Aphrodite

Small things in this world are mine
A drop of water swirls

Blown beneath my glass
There are singing mice here

So the whole world could see
Everything is beautiful

In my silence I possess
National character

Woven through my hair and diamonds
Between my legs, poking, prodding

I have made other parts private
In this newspaper lithograph

There is unexpected sun today
And I am moving closer

2 comments:

  1. I have not had a chance to read Alexander, but now you make me want to. From these lines, I still see Bartmann's story emerging, and that really impressed me. Beautiful lines, beautifully woven together. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think with the challenges we are ever late... we are at just the right time. I am grateful you posted at all...

    Such a soul quality in this Cento. So dreamy, love it.

    ReplyDelete