Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Moms don't get time off for snow days.

Working from home when you're taking care of a kid isn't easy. We were supposed to get a huge snowstorm overnight, but as Mother Nature often changes her mind, the course of the storm has been delayed.

The last snowstorm resulted in me missing four hours of work; in order to pick up Jonathan when his school decided to close early. Rather than taking that chance again, I decided to keep him home with me. A decision that I am now regretting. Jonathan is at the age where he requires a lot of attention. He craves it. And I want to be able to give it to him. But trying to keep an eye on all the employees that I have to babysit and trying to babysit my own son, leaves me giving my full attention to no one. And makes me look like a bad mom and a bad employee. If this storm never arrives, I will look like an idiot to my boss and co-workers. And if Jonathan's school ends up staying open all day, I will have been unproductive without reason.

I'm thankful to have the option to work from home on days like today. But I don't want to jeopardize my job for being seen as someone who takes advantage. It's a no-win situation. The option to be a full time employee and a full time mom is virtually nonexistent. And as the bread-winner for this family I have an obligation to succeed at both.

No comments:

Post a Comment