Monday, March 25, 2013

The bittersweet task of moving.

This is going to be an extremely busy week for team Go Bail (that's what the Mister and I call our little family). We're steady packing and trying to get everything ready for our move this weekend. With only a week's notice prior to moving, it has been quite the cluster of events to get the process started. And I find myself excited and worried at the same time. It's a bittersweet process, I suppose. But moving always leaves me in a state of mental disarray.

While I'm happy to be moving out of the duplex and into a single family home, I'm sad that it's not in an ideal location. However it does push us harder to move into a home of our own, instead of continuing to rent from others. As a lifelong commitment-phobe, the thought of owning a house really stresses me out. But knowing I am paying someone else almost double what I would pay for my own home leaves me feeling like an idiot.

The hardest part is knowing that this is JR's first home. He rolled over and took his first steps in our current living room. His nursery has been my favorite place in the home for the 19 months he has been on this earth. And I worked hard to make it perfect. I'm sure he won't miss it at all. He won't really know the difference. But his nursery is currently adjacent to our room with a door separating us. In the new home he will officially have his own room. This is better or him because he is currently outgrowing his nursery, but as his mom I'm going to miss being close enough to wake up in the middle of the night and listen to the sound of him breathing.

I have pictures. And I'll always hold the memories we made in that house dear to my heart, but I wish that we had made plans to buy a home sooner. I'm hopeful that when we move again in two years, it will be to a home that JR can call his own and remember fondly. Until then, we can only work towards moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment