Thursday, August 20, 2009

88

I only used four of the words supplied by Read Write Poem, which is disappointing because there were many good ones that I wanted to incorporate. In the end the poem rejected my many attempts at including more of the words. Who am I to argue?

In dreams this has the potential
To be more than a fling

In reality I’m too afraid to be the
Outer spoon

I don’t even like spooning
So I push you away
Press stop on the recorder

But not before coarse words
Fly out of busy mouths
In a bustle of lust

Making their way
Out of windows
And onto busy streets

Floating to where you first
Put your arm around me

I didn’t look back to see
If anyone was watching


The Word List: Spoon, fling, bustle, coarse, elocution, homeward, froth, salacious, hitch, rancid, 8-track, coagulate, diode, rant.

The Chosen Few: Spoon, fling, bustle, coarse.

Prompt Details

5 comments:

  1. This is great, especially the way you capture the movement of the words in the second half of the poem up to those wonderful concluding lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jessica,

    "But not before coarse words
    Fly out of busy mouths
    In a bustle of lust"

    I really like these lines. Pity you pressed the stop button!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poem really does carry me along through the transitions. I can feel the emotion very acutely. The extra words may have clouded that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This very successfully conjures a sense of loss. I enjoyed it (so to speak).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poem seems to be untitled? However, if I read the first two lines as the title, and the rest of the lines as the poem, it works great! Your poem is the only one I've seen so far that uses one prompt word in two variations (spoon and spooning). Neat!

    ReplyDelete