Tuesday, August 4, 2009

RWP has done it again!

How in the world does Read Write Poem keep sucking me into poetry challenges? First NaPoWriMo, now Poetry Mini-Challenges. And a better question yet is why in the world do I keep letting them? I guess the simple answer would be because I love writing and I they offer great inspirtation. A more realistic answer might be that I'm crazy.

Here's a link to the challenge details because time is precious and I'm too lazy to write it all out. Besides, I'm trying to pump out three poems in three days here people...I'm sure you can understand.

I'm calling my series for this first Poetry Mini-Challenge Harvest; which is a synonym of the word Cull. I chose the word harvest because when I wrote down the synonyms for the three words suggested it was the first one to jump out at me. This first poem for the series is of course untitled because as we all know I'm terrible at coming up with titles.

Thanks as always for stopping by, reading, commenting, and being a part of my support system. Also, if you haven't already visiting the new Read Write Poem site please do so soon. It's even more amazing then before. Now for the goods:

I remember trekking in leaves
Tokens of the day’s journey
Mom called it reckless

Packing leaves into garbage bags
The faces of jack ‘o lanterns printed on them
I called it festive

Trips in cars to visit long-time friends
Before I understood what stabbed in the back meant
Mom called them lessons

Packing cars with blankets and pillows and snacks
To visit Auntie in the hospital
I called those our last goodbyes

Perusing sales racks and window-shopping
Taking shelter in separate rooms
Mom called it survival

Packing boxes and driving away
A form of escape
I called it self-preservation




Poetry Mini-Challenge Details

2 comments:

  1. Well done! And isn't harvest a great word? :-) Where did you put the link to this at RWP - I couldn't find a place to do so myself.

    I'm looking forward to the next two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! I put my link in this portion: "Here's a link to the challenge details"... I hope it works. I should probably put it in a couple of places though; it's kind of hidden.

    I think I'll post the link again at the end of my poem. I'll call it Poetry Mini-Challenge Details.

    ReplyDelete