Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Listen...

Another Poetry Mini-Challenge from Read Write Poem. I really love this prompt, but I'm not so sure I'm going to do it justice. At least I can say I tried!

Eavesdropping 1

We get tossed around
But these wheels they keep on turning

A mechanical voice comes
Over the airwaves
Next Stop: Wellington

We listen for further instructions
Doors open on the left at Wellington
Transfer to purple line trains at Wellington


Doors open, doors close
Squeaking, in desperate in of oil

Kings of Leon drowns it all out for me
I hope it’s gonna make you notice
I hope it’s gonna make you notice
Someone like me…


I get lost in the lyrics
Then shaken back to reality

Next stop: Fullerton

Next stop…
That’s me

4 comments:

  1. Makes me think of riding the subway in NYC. Not the same as the El, but similar.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I admire how you contrast two sounds so familiar to many readers -- the sound of a subway car's instructions, and the sound of a song listened to while riding the subway car. The contrast is between "mass" transit and the journey of the individual, between society's public messages which we have no control over hearing, and the personal music that we choose to hear privately. You might want to read Seamus Heaney's longish poem about the Underground entitled "District and Circle."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes Radio Nowhere they are similar and now I am longing for NY! I must get back there soon.

    theresebroderick thank you for the reading suggestion. I will have to look that up.

    And thank you both for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like how the stanza breaks pace this. like train stops. and like coming in and out (getting lost and then checking back in) of awareness of what's around.

    ReplyDelete