Thursday, September 10, 2009

What I Want To Remember

This two-poem prompt from Read Write Poem took a lot out of me and I only have one poem to show for it. This is literally what I want to remember, so that's what I've titled this poem. Its evil twin is the already titled, but yet to be complete What I Want To Forget. Unfortunately all of the things that I want to forget are very tough to write about so hopefully by giving myself a little more time I will come up with something usable.

What I Want To Remember

If I think hard enough
I can will myself back
Into my grandmother’s kitchen

Sitting at the table
Coffee and Ritz crackers for breakfast
Waiting for my mother to come home


7 comments:

  1. Good for you! I love the way you wrestled with the prompt and then came back with a narrower yet lovely memory to share. Baring the soul to the world isn't the only way to make good poetry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so spare, so touching -- a loving tribute to both your mother (hard-working evening shift staff) and your grandmother (holding family together) and you (who still have affection for them both). The coffee with Ritz crackers is the one specific detail in the poem: the personal, authenticating detail which earns the reader's trust. But that first line tells the reader that this memory of togetherness is hard to get back to...so much about love and pain is said in so few words. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes brevity is the way to go. I loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. short...and nice to read...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so interesting how the mind works, how smells and tastes, coffee and Ritz crackers, can turn the shell of our lives into complex neurons of memory. You did well girl.
    DH

    ReplyDelete