Tuesday, May 26, 2009

An observation on the life of a waitress.

I love people-watching. It's one of my favorite things to do. I imagine the kind of lives that people passing by live, have lived, or want to live. I suppose there are people who do the same when they watch me. I often wonder what they see, but sadly will never know. I wrote this poem this morning while on the bus, passing one of my favorite diners. It took all of two minutes and I actually like how it turned out.

Waitress

Outside, she steadies herself
against the brick of a deceptive
Hollywood background reflection

Chicago wind dances
through curls, bleached white
time after time

A Betty
Gladys
Or Annette

Index and middle fingers firm
around a long, slim cigarette

Dreaming long lost
dreams with each inhale

With each exhale, wondering
where the time went

2 comments:

  1. Such a precise and vivid portrait!
    I've tagged you at my blog. Come check out the challenge (if you want and if you have time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. just stumbled across your blog--we have similar taste in music--

    what a lovely poem! :)

    ReplyDelete