Friday, January 8, 2010

Starting Over, Just Barely

Poem #3 for the RWP Poetry Mini-Challenge.

Barely

My lips part, unevenly
Unsure

I can barely feel the words rising
In my throat,
Touching my tongue,
And slipping through the spaces
Between my teeth

It’s not like I ever loved you
So why is this so hard?

We only existed in half-hearted gazes
And back-handed compliments

Holding hands because we needed
To feel the warmth of another human being

The thrill, once rooted firmly
Like a tree
Is now growing weak,
Fading swiftly

The words escape safely
Certain in their departure
Ready for a new beginning
But just barely


2 comments:

  1. A not uncommon change in relationship, yet so lightly touched and well phrased it escapes a common sense of "angst". That's an accomplishment!

    The second stanza is beautifully specific, emotional through the physical detail. And I like, "The words escape safely Certain in their departure". Simple and nicely said. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. I know this experience intimately. INTIMATELY....

    The line about holding hands, only to feel another humans warmth? Slays me....

    ReplyDelete