Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 20: The Hero Poem, a.k.a. my prompt for RWP!

So much more than a mother. So much more than a best friend. I had a hard time with my own prompt! It was hard to find the right words to say what my hero (my mom) means to me, so I decided to work in a funny story. Well, it wasn't so funny at the time, but it's pretty funny now. :)

Anyway, here is a poem about my hero. Prompt details can be found here. And a special thanks to Read Write Poem for accepting my prompt!

I probably never told you
the real reason I hate bangs on me.

It’s because of the haircut
you gave me when I was seven.

A valiant effort on your part,
with such dramatic results.

I probably never told you
I cried myself to sleep that night.

I knew all the kids at school
would make fun of me the next day.

As if they needed more ammunition.
Still, I loved you for trying.

When I look back on it now I say
Thank God for headbands.

But more than anything
I thank God for you.

4 comments:

  1. hi jessica... a beautiful remembrance of mother poem....haircuts there's gotta be at least one in our childhood.... somebody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica--An original but effective way to communicate your thoughts about your hero. This is really heartfelt. I enjoyed it! Also, thanks for the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Jessica this is beautiful and don't we all remeber the silly things our moms did to us. I lost my mom 4 years ago and I think I will always feel the void.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet and I like that it has a story

    ReplyDelete