Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day 12. From What I Remember

From What I Remember

From what I
Remember
Coffee
Was a religion
Cigarettes
A way of life

In the bathroom
A porcelain tub
With tiny cracks
Held the family secrets

Funerals masqueraded
As family reunions

The dishes would pile up
In the sink
Until there was a reason
To wash them

Stop!
Was another word for Go
Between supposed friends

I love you
Lost all meaning

Husbands told lies
That wives pretended
To believe

Children would dream
Of getting out

I just wanted to make
Ray Bradbury proud


Read Write Poem

2 comments:

  1. So many great lines here: "coffee was a religion,"
    "tiny cracks held family secrets,""funerals masqueraded as family reunions." Those few words say so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Elizabeth about those great lines ~ they build up to create a creepy, suffocating atmosphere ~ which I like!

    Claire

    ReplyDelete