Wednesday, April 8, 2009

It's Day 8 and I'm Up In Flames with Heather.

Two poems today. Conjuring up unflattering images of my exes was easy; taking responsibility for my own actions wasn't. If this poem seems a little one-sided, it's probably because it is. Completely unintentional, I swear.

Up In Flames

Maybe when I bent
It wasn’t back far enough
And you couldn’t tell
I was bending for you

Or maybe you thought
I took you for granted
A creature of habit
I let the spark fade

You’re the one that got away

Maybe I wasn’t enough
You always wanted
Bigger
And better things

Or maybe I was too good
You couldn’t bear
To hold me back
For one more second

I’m the one that got away

******************************************************
This was written about one of my exes, but titled after a friend's ex.

Heather

I can still see
The look in your eyes
As my famous last words
Became suspended
Frozen in time

I tried to catch them
But they were cold
To the touch

I never meant to hurt you


Side Note: I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone who has come by to read my poems, commented on them, or emailed me. I really appreciate the support. And thanks to Read Write Poem for the daily prompts.

12 comments:

  1. Sweet poem, tragic indeed; the title is so strong when compared to the rest, I was surprised.
    First stanza was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like this...
    i like this a lot.
    :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I enjoyed the kind of back and forth of the "You're/I'm the one that got away" lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Conjuring up unflattering images of my exes was easy; taking responsibility for my own actions wasn't."

    LOL ~ I had the exact same problem myself, writing from this prompt . Nice ending!

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done!
    I like especially:

    "Maybe when I bent
    It wasn’t back far enough
    And you couldn’t tell
    I was bending for you"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this part:

    Maybe when I bent
    It wasn’t back far enough
    And you couldn’t tell
    I was bending for you

    VERY NICE JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also enjoyed the back and forth of you're the one/I'm the one who got away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the first two lines, bending.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the second poem is simple in a direct sort of way, and my fav of the two. I immediately saw a physical image of words frozen in the air and plumes of vapor surrounding them. Awesome image..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how the first poem shifts from "you're the one that got away" to "I'm the one that got away." I also love, love, LOVE the first stanza especially.

    Second poem--nice visual image of words being suspended...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The image of bending is a wonderful thought about how we contort ourselves into love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the first poem, I love the way you present different perspectives and then turn it round.

    ReplyDelete