Sunday, April 19, 2009

Day 19. I can't believe I've been able to keep up!

I'm really surprised that I've been able to write at least one poem a day. I write every day, but usually just fragments. Some days have been challenging, but I'm really glad I decided to participate. Thanks to everyone who has stopped by to read or comment on my poems. The support is very much appreciated. And thanks to all of those who are sharing their poems as well. I've come across so many wonderful writers this month! And of course, thanks to the wonderful people over at Read Write Poem for everything they do.

This poem is about my first best friend, Shannon. For a year we were a dynamic duo. I miss her on a regular basis.

Shannon

You came into my life
In the middle of 2nd grade

Hop-scotch
King of the Mountain
Tag! You’re it

You were my first
Real best friend
Then you moved away
Your dad was in the Navy

Things were never the same for me

For a while
We kept in touch

Wrote letters
And sometimes our parents
Would allow us to make
Long-distance phone calls

Eventually
We ran out of things to say
The friendship faded
Or sailed away

I wonder if you ever think of me

3 comments:

  1. I especially like how you list the games you played in second grade. As I get older, I think more and more of friends I've lost touch with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, poignant, simple, touching.

    ReplyDelete