Thursday, April 30, 2009

Day 30 and the bittersweet end of NaPoWriMo.

It's been a very productive month in terms of writing. I successfully completed the challenge of writing a poem a day during the month of April. There were even days when I was able to write more than one poem. Thanks to everyone who stopped by to read my entries and to those who made comments on them. And a special thanks to everyone who participated in the 30 poems in 30 days challenge. Being able to read the entries left by other participants helped a lot. It made me realize that I wasn't alone in the struggle and allowed me to be introduced to some amazing writers. I still plan on posting poems here, just probably not everyday, and I hope the rest of you continue posting too. I have enjoyed so much of what was written this month, imagine how wonderful our poems will be without time constraints! Here is my final entry for the month of April:

Bittersweet

She carries leftover conversations
In the palm of her hand

The beginnings
Middles
And ends
Of time well spent

In hospital rooms, visiting
Her sick grandmother

In bunk beds, reassuring
Her younger brother

In late-night phone calls, made
To her mother
Just to say hello

It’s always been her job
To handle the clean-up

Pull all the words together
Make something tangible from them


*The line carries leftover conversations was taken from the Leave A Line, Take A Line entry on Read Write Poem. The line was posted by Deb at stoneymoss.org.

7 comments:

  1. Simple and beautiful as usual. I have enjoyed reading your poetry this month and I am happy that you plan to continue posting. Congrats on making it all the way through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would use the same description as Kimberly - simple and beautiful as usual. You have a lovely light touch that goes deep. I have bookmarked your site, you are one of the four or five people I am absolutely thrilled to have discovered this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful. I have looked forward to reading your poetry each day this month. You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't seem to add more that what Kimberly said. I really love the light that shines in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Jessica. Beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you develop the details to bring the line to life. I've enjoyed reading your work this month.

    Liz - www.blog.elizabethenslin.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always do such an amazing job! I've enjoyed reading your work this month and I'll definitely continue to stop in! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete