Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Day 15. Tax Day. List Day. Procrastinating is my specialty.

The Instead List, Untitled

You called

I should have called you back
Should have been a good friend
Should have explained
(Everything)

Instead
I came up with excuses
Reasons why you wouldn’t
Understand

Because I was afraid

I folded the laundry,
Did the dishes,
Had a drink,
And then another,
(And then another)

I wrote a letter
I had no intention of sending

I put your songs on repeat
Just to hear your voice

I listened to your
Previous messages
Over and over
Until I memorized
Every syllable
Every heart-felt sigh

And then I cried

You called
I should have called you back

Instead
I convinced myself
You would be better off
Without me

Wednesday is List Day over at Read Write Poem.

6 comments:

  1. another good one...seems somewhat sad..but puttiong things on hold and sadness is life

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I have done this...
    nice poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i really feel this poem! i've definitely been there. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh!!!! I have sooo done this. GREAT job!

    http://lori102870.blogspot.com/2009/04/procrastinationnapowrimo-15by-tlb.html

    ReplyDelete