Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 7. Did someone say nicknames? Because I've had many.

Today was tough. I had many ideas, but nothing seemed to come of them. I hate that I've been relying on the Read Write Poem prompts so much, but I am very thankful to have them available. Today they suggested the nickname prompt, of which I've had many. Some that have stuck are Sweet Pea, Bunny, Pepper, Jez, and J-Dogg 4. The ones that appear in this poem were given to me by my family. Boo is what my mother calls me, Princess is what my father calls me, and Jess is what my brother calls me. For the longest time he was the only one allowed to call me Jess; now it's what most people call me. I apologize for the epic explanation.

I Have Been

My real name is Jessica

I have been
Boo
She who always
Put family first
Carried her fair share
Of the load
Always came home on time

And never once
Disappointed her mother

I have been
Princess
A bookworm
Reading by flashlight
Under the covers
Waiting for her father
To make it right

Because Jessica gave up
A long time ago

I have been
Jess
The big sister
Huddled in bed
Arms tight around
Her little brother
Waiting for the fighting to end

That’s still me
I am who I’ve always been

No comments:

Post a Comment